The patented FlipScribe scribes without any touch to the top of the sample. It integrates a robust diamond scribe into a sample platform with a fence guide design (see the drawing below). Time required to align and scribe is about 1 minute. It allows users to accurately position the scribe mark relative to features on the front side, visualized either by eye or with a user-supplied high magnification microscope. FlipScribe also offers a quick method for cleanly downsizing large samples, with a "scribe stope" to allow the operator to define the length of the scribe. FlipScribe is a compact, stable, accurate, fast and low cost scribing and cleaving solution suitable for any lab; no utilities required.
- Enables accurate cleaving through frontside targets with a scribe made on the backside of the substrate
- Scribe does not damage the frontside of the sample
- Accuracy of scribe ±200 μm (achievable)
- Flexible with respect to sample size and shape
- Capable of scribing bonded crystalline and amorphous wafers and chips for subsequent cleaving
- No maintenance required
- Accurate positioning of the scribe relative to features on the front side (the front side being observed either by eye or with a stereoscope).
- The length of the scribe can be varied from 1 mm to 100 mm
- Prealigned diamond scribe in user replaceable cartridge; height and angle adjustable
- Ruler embedded in platform enables precise and repeatable sample alignment and sizing
- The tool is purely mechanical; no power required